Wednesday 13 April 2011

task 6b: reaserch methods

Having read the course reader on 'Tools of Professional inquiry' It has become clear that, the nature of my work will inform the research methods i choose in order to balance the ethics of both my inquiry and my working environment.
For example, in order to comply with chickenshed's inclusive methodology and my interpretation of this,  i will need to choose methods that are right for individuals involved as well as taking into account my own need to gather information.

For myself , as the reasercher i need to identify my own oppionion from my professional one- or are they the same thing? because chickenshed has not only informed me as professional but has also had a huge impact on me as a person, i need to take be aware of the bias' that this can cause when gathering research.

previous knowledge of my participants
                                                                                                     personal experiences within my workplace
      awareness of current norms and values within my area
                                              REASERCHER- WHY COULD BIAS PLAY A PART?
                                                                                                               passion/love for my work
             already knowing my 'ideal' outcome

having identified these bias' the question is- HOW ARE THEY ELIMINATED?

as i am looking to form a question that incorporates two area's of interest- inclusion and education, the use of a hypothesis could be of use to me.
in my oppionion is that the hypothesis is used within a scientific setting with a quantitative answer. However although this is a tool that i would like to use in my own inquiry to outline my own oppinions and predictions before my inquiry begins. This, for me, will give me a point of reference during my studies on which i can comment and compare my own thoughts alongside gathering information from outside parties.

It is important for me to gather data that is 'representative' from my sample participants. However, this representation must be achieved with both my inclusion and ethics knowledge in mind, for example; the sample of participants i choose must not only be chosen because it is what is needed for my reasearch but also becasue it is right for them as individuals to conribute.

Observation will be something that will be great for me to use within my inquiry. My intial idea is to write a workshop plan that will be used in two environments- Chickshed and BRIT School; keeping common factors the same, e.g age range, number of participants- and what ever else i decide- but comparing the workshops based on factors such as behaviour, response, diasaplines and feedback.

Having conducted some informal interviews with friends and collegues i have found that is important to piolet my questions before putting them to use. I found from my discussions that my questions didnt always flow as well as i thought and my articulation of the question varied dependant on the setting in which i was talking. In order to eliminate bias as much as possible the need for and 'interview structure' will be of great importance.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment