Friday 31 December 2010

final work..1st draft!

A critical reflection on my developing professional practice
Professional Communication Technology
My initial reaction to communication technologies was a sceptical one (Appendix A). However, in continuing to blog and communicate with my peers via email and the internet I was forced to utilise the platforms available to me. The discussions within the ‘blogging’ world have allowed me to comment and discuss work and opinions with people who have a similar topic of interest (Appendix B) therefore extending my knowledge and inquiries into my own professional practice.
Embracing platforms such as flicker has allowed me to fulfil something that I often find difficult; to verbally explain the work of ChickenShed, as I expressed in my blog (Appendix C) therefore, simple and effective access to images and the like are crucial when conveying my professional practice. (Appendix D). The process of using these tools that I was initially ‘scared’ of, has provided me with the reassurance that they are a source of support for my work.
My skills within professional communication technologies are in constant development; however the demand to access such technologies in order to enhance my practice has allowed my work to become both efficient and effective.
Reflective practice
When reflecting on events within a given time, I find myself not only recalling incidents but forming my opinions and conclusions that I may not have considered at the time (Appendix E). This ‘reflection- on- action’, a theory formulated by Kottcamp, is one that I have used when writing my blogs, however I found myself questioning the way in which I learn most effectively(Appendix F). Evaluating my own learning has allowed me to gain an informed a perspective and extract a combination of theories that I both agree with and use: Kolb’s learning cycle- encouraging identification and active learning, Howard Gardener- each individual questioning their own learning strategies and raising question’s about Kottcamp’s ‘reflection-in-action’ theory. (Appendix G). The idea of actively encouraging my own learning and having an awareness of conflictions within theory has sparked a ‘rolling’ development of how to formulate my experiences.
The task of ‘Inquiry’ was one that led me to use and question resources available to me. My own discussion of professional’s around me formed a realisation of how far my relationships and skills have been both influenced and developed. Reflecting on sources of material that surround me led me to not only ask questions but also for others to do the same (Appendix H). The inquiry into my practice has allowed me to become my own ‘outside eye’, although a contradiction in terms, a tool in practice. Taking time to step back and reflect on my work is not only a necessity within my ‘inclusive training’ but in questioning comes progression as a professional.
Professional Networking
Understanding the construction of professional networking is something that has been influential to my way of working and communication. The idea that we divide ourselves into ‘units’ of people in order to achieve the most success, socially or professionally, is intriguing. The investigation of network theories has, for me, clouded the idea that a network is to work as a team or to co-operate and has highlighted the presence of competition within professional groups. From reading other blogs, I am fast discovering how the process’ by which I work and create within an inclusive professional network are often non- comprehendible to others (Appendix I). Networks within the Performing arts have shown a clear divide between on and off stage. A cast network is clearly one that is striving for the same acknowledgment of success; audience applause, and I agree with Crisp and Turner 2007 pp266 who said that 'a network of support that will help us when we are in need' but is this purely an on stage ideal? I have become aware of the networks around me and am now asking how they are an asset to me. Breaking down my networks into smaller pieces on my blog has allowed me to discover where I fit within them and how I utilise them to the best of my ability (Appendix J).
Studying my immediate networks in such detail gave me the impetus to question past networks and how I could incorporate them into my present practice to build a future. (Appendix K). I am now looking to develop my current networks in order to build awareness of my professional practice and how organisations/institutions could utilise my knowledge in the future. This is a platform that is ever growing in order to establish my career.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Emma,

    Great first draft! I am alittle stuck on the part 2 part. Do you understand it?

    Stacey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. the appendix?

    yea u just have to filter through the work youve done to support what your saying so i used comments and bits from my blogs

    hope this helps!

    emma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma
    i was wondering what was appendix is all about reading through your A critical reflection on my developing professional practice
    Professional Communication Technology i understand that appendix is about what you wanna add up to back up what you really explaining about.

    thank you Emma!!!

    ReplyDelete