Sunday 7 November 2010

Task 2b: Reflective writing

Performance Workshop
Yesterday was the return of the BTEC students after half term and the return of my supporting role within their lessons. The day begun with ‘Performance Workshop’ in the studio theatre with students covering all aspects of the arts strung together with the theme ‘Concrete Jungle’. The initial part of the session was reflecting and re-capping work that had been set/created in the previous half of the term.
     With this particular year group I was always feel an initial struggle as it is difficult to channel their energy and enthusiasm into their work, especially after having a week’s holiday with no focus at all. In my opinion I think that many of the students are not completely inspired by the concept of the material but contradict this in practice. My first thoughts about the session were that I was slightly anxious and I can remember thinking that although I was in a positive mood I was aware that excited atmosphere could create a struggle when delivering activities. Something that I didn’t expect was the lack of participants, it seemed that the first day of term was not the most popular day to fit in with everyone’s ‘social calendars!’. What was clear from the turn out of students was that there were some key individuals that can drive focus and creation within groups that were missing, which only added to my anxiousness.
      Another unexpected outcome was that I had to sign for one of the girls as her allocated signer had called in sick. Although I have signed to her a few times before I suddenly felt nervous, which was slightly disconcerting as signing is one of my most confident attributes. The bubbly atmosphere of the room was great but I became very exposed and aware of my signing in front of different people a feeling that I am not used to at all.
     Within that session as well as signing I had a number of roles; supporting the creation of work, delivering an activities, recognising individual needs and adhering to them appropriately to ensure the best possible outcome. 
     Contrary to my initial reaction I felt that the session progressed as it went on, with the atmosphere becoming more focused and engaging, which I think was helped by the re-capping of previous work as it gave a familiar base of work for students to connect with. The most successful parts of the session, I feel were achieved when direction was given to the entire group to work as a whole, so that there was no room for anyone to ‘hide’ of ‘pull focus’. Something that I noticed from this session was the positive changes in certain individuals towards both the work and the people around them. It became clear that for some, having been a ‘college’ student for half a term has matured their behaviour and yesterday I could start to see how beneficial this maturity could be to the entire group.
     Something I would have loved to have happened in that session was for all the students to commit to everything they were doing and push themselves to create something that would blow us all away. It doesn’t sound particularly farfetched but it really is so frustrating watching a year group so full of talent and potential, not making the most of their opportunities. Within the building it is clear that certain assumptions have been made about this group as a whole and nothing would give me more pleasure than for them to prove them wrong.
     From a certain students point of view I think they would of felt that their lesson was balanced. This girl seemed to switch between someone who wants to create and someone who doesn’t appear to care. From her opinion I think she embraced the work but probably felt like the directors and deliverers of the session could have handled difficult situations better. I spoke to her within the session and at one point she felt that she shouldn’t have to do all the work if no-one else was going to bother, a point that I argued saying that as an individual she should be utilising her skills as a group leader and pushing for the best quality which something that would be reflected in her own personal grade. Looking back, I do acknowledge in this discussion that our opinions were coming from completely different ends of the spectrum; hers from a performing arts BTEC student, mine as a degree student studying inclusion, both valid and informed by our own influences.
     This particular day/session is one that encourages my interest for inclusion within further education and excites my further and more developed participation within them. Something that I would do differently, I think, is channelling my initial anxiety/nerves into my confidence when supporting a group or individual as I think It can inhibit me to an extent. From the session I gained the knowledge of how individuals have developed from their first day to now and I know that this is something that really interests me. The question for me is; ‘How can inclusion influence students in further education?’, and this is something I am able to see first hand within Chickenshed’s educational setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment